Medical Assistant Certification in New York
Though the demand for medical assistants is rising exponentially, most employers in the state of New York will not hire medical assistants without formal certification. In order to obtain medical assistant certification in New York, there are several steps you must first complete. Learn more about how the process works below.
How to Become a Certified Medical Assistant (CMA)
1. Graduate from a medical assisting program accredited by either the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES).
2. Have your school’s program director verify your completion of the program with the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA).
3. Apply for the CMA Certification Exam through the AAMA and pay the $125 application fee.
4. Schedule your exam date.
5. Take your exam. You will see whether you passed or failed immediately.
6. Wait 8 – 10 weeks to receive your official test scores.
7. If you passed, wait another 10 weeks to receive your certification.
8. Recertify every 60 months to maintain your certification.
Start at Step 1
Most medical assisting programs accredited by the CAAHEP and the ABHES are two-year associate degree programs. In these programs, you will learn clinical, administrative, and technical skills, as well as the fundamentals of business and effective communication. Typical courses include clerical accounting, medical ethics, and electronic medical records. After completing your medical assistant education, you will be prepared to work everywhere from traditional doctor’s offices to specialty practices, pharmacies, hospitals, and medical laboratories. In addition to traditional medical assistants, program graduates can function as chiropractic assistants, pharmacy technicians, medical billing clerks, ECG technicians, and phlebotomists.
Prepare for Medical Assistant Certification in New York at EBI
Though most associate degree programs take two years to complete, at EBI, you can earn an Associate of Occupational Studies in Medical Assisting in as little as 16 months with a full-time course load. Contact EBI’s campus in Vestal, New York at (607) 729-8915 for more information about the program.